General football issues and insights that arise during the 2019-2020 NFL season.
Thread for the 2019-2020 NFL Regular season
- The game was cold–I think the announcers said the third coldest game ever played;
- I recall this Giants team not being that great, especially on offense, but they actually were decent for a large portion of the game. I had low expectations of Eli, but he looked solid for the first three quarters. Then again, he had three balls that could have been intercepted. The first one went to straight to a DT–but it wasn’t easy to catch; the second was a bad throw that was intercepted, but a penalty by GB negated it; and the third was a throw on a post that went through the hands of a DB–arguable if it was easy or not.
- But the Giants controlled the ball for most of the game. Packers scored quickly on one possession, which might have helped the Giants. Still the ball control wasn’t decisive–the Packers could have won this, maybe should have. Then again, if the Packers did a better job of ball control (They didn’t run much), it might have made a big difference.
- A big reason they lost was Favre’s INT in the OT. It was an inaccurate throw, and this set up the game winner for the Giants. Favre made a terrible decision/throw in the second half that the Giants picked up. But the Giants DB fumbled on the return and the Packers recovered, near the Giants goal.
- Giants kinda looked sloppy at times. In addition to the fumble above, they also fumbled on a kick return, but luckily recovered it. They had some drops, too, but the weather could have been a factor. I think their kicker missed two FGs, including one at the end of regulation that could have won the game.